Instagrok is a dedicated search engine for educational queries.
I have been reading about Instagrok on Ed Tech pages so I decided to check it out for myself. I was not very enthusiastic prior to my search because I was anticipating another run of the mill tailored search engine. After playing around with it for quite awhile, I came away very impressed.
Users type in their topic of interest in the search area and the site begins to “Grok”.
- Search results come back in the form of a web.
- Clicking on the sub-topics in the web will drill down to further sub-topics.
- On the sidebar several drop-down menus appear with related information. The menu items include: Key Facts, Websites, Videos, Images, Quizzes and Concepts.
- Users can delete information in order to streamline the search.
- Useful information can be pinned to a journal in order to collate ideas in one place.
- Journals are not dedicated to a particular search. You can populate the journals with information from multiple searches.
The search results can be filtered by the required depth of information and by grade level through a scrolling bar at the top of the page. The default position is in the middle but you can move it to a more basic level by sliding to the chalkboard icon or find more advanced information by sliding it towards the Eisteinish cartoon.
Click below to view the Instagrok created brochure: